As I mentioned in my Zbox Unboxing post recently, I wanted to talk about the overall service of the Zbox subscription service.
I've been receiving a Zbox for 3 months now and I've had a few problems with my boxes so I wanted to do a review of the service overall.
First of all, for those of you who don't know, a Zbox is a monthly subscription service for geeks, each month it includes a t-shirt, Zbox magazine and an assortment of wonderful geeky items including Pop! Vinyls, comic books, key rings, puzzles, key rings, socks and books among other things for a maximum price of £19.99 (a monthly discount is applied for those who sign up to 3, 6 and 12 month options, with a minimum monthly price is £18.49).
Now let's actually talk about the service. I've honestly had a lot of problems and I've been incredibly frustrated so I'm going to try and keep it as short as possible (because of this I'm going to stick to bullet points to try and prevent me rambling!)
- The first box I received was relatively carefree, however about 2 weeks later I noticed they had taken money out of my account again.
- I contacted them, wrote a rather lengthy complaint, I had figured out then that the "one off" box is actually a "cancel at any time monthly subscription" but I believed that the description was misleading, and the small print is not clear enough.
- I got a very short, (and in my opinion) rude reply which I did not find satisfying at all. In my complaint I requested they cancel my subscription which they responded (basically all they wrote) that they couldn't cancel it until it had been dispatched (hardly "cancel at any time"!).
- I had planned on cancelling as soon as the box arrived, however, I found out the next month (the one I'm unboxing today) was to be a Marvel box (I love Marvel) so I decided to give them one last chance.
- The Marvel box, was about a week late, however they emailed to us know, and I wasn't that bothered. However, I did message the twitter team to ask if it would be possible to change my t-shirt size and it took them 2 days and a ridiculous amount of security questions to tell me that you have to CANCEL your subscription and start a new one to do so, and (you guessed it!) they couldn't cancel it until it had been delivered (that cancel at any time contract seems to actually mean about cancel around 11 random days of the month depending if they're running late...),
To surmise; the customer service is shit and the subscription terms and conditions are questionable, however I think the contents of the box is really good (which you can see in my Marvelous May 2016 Zbox Unboxing post) and I think it's a lot of fun, so it's a total catch-22 whether it's worth it or not!
If you love some geeky content and you're relatively laid-back, then this might be the box for you. However, if you can't stand the idea of bad customer service and difficult to get out of contracts then I'd give this one a miss!
If you have tried the Zbox before, let me know your thoughts below, or if you have any recommendations for other geeky subscription boxes I'd be delighted to try out something better!